A few months ago we had a speaker at MOPS -a family counselor- who gave us a prescription for a healthy marriage. It gave me a lot to think about. I’ve been wanting to blog about it, but never did. It struck me that right now might be just the right time – when many people are thinking about New Year’s resolutions and/or things they want to do differently in 2011.
So here goes…
- 15 minutes of face time per day. No talk about kids or schedules allowed. *
- 6 six-second hugs per day. **
- Do something fun that allows you to play or laugh together once per week.
- Date night once per month.
- Have a check-in with your spouse once per quarter. (e.g. – talk about your relationship, your family – how are we doing? is there anything we need to change?)
- Vacation together once per year.
*When I told my husband this, he actually said “what else is there to talk about?” jokingly, of course. I think.
** Yes, you read that right. Apparently a 6 second hug is long enough to start your body producing oxytocin – which helps with bonding. Amazing, isn’t it?
So, we have not really implemented any of these. But I continue to think about it, and wonder how our marriage would change if we actually did it!!
What about you? Do you do any of these on a regular basis? How does it impact your marriage?
P.S. – I thought I’d pass along a marriage blog I’ve been enjoying reading recently. Here’s the website: